Sunday 7 January 2018

Fox Rosehill Gardens, Falmouth - Plants flowering in Winter

I confess that it is my interested in bumblebees that draws me to Fox Rosehill Garden each winter. The garden's various varieties of Mahonia are pretty well guaranteed to attract winter active buff-tailed bumblebees from November through to the end February. While a bumblebee visit to a Mahonia flower is almost certain, some days entail quite a lot of waiting for a visitor to arrive. This allows me to take a look at its other attractions.

The garden is home to a variety of exotic plants from around the world. Quite a few of these flower during in the winter. I am not very knowledgeable on ornamental plants but with help from Robbie Blackhall- Miles from Fossil Plants and Helen Brown at Little Ash Gardens I have managed to put a name to the plants in my photos.

Bumblebee on Mahonia flowers
Fuchsia microphylla

Amaryllis belladonna

Impatiens tinctoria
Sparmannia africana

Correa glabra var. turnbullii
Salvia corrugata
brugmansia x Lutea
Clerodendrum trichotomum
- these are fruits not its flowers
Lambertia formosa

No comments:

Post a Comment